Low Carb Stuffed Dolmas
Don’t worry if you have been left behind and never heard of low carb stuffed dolma’s…I’m going to go into what they are in this article and how you can include them in your diet as a sure way to reduce your carbohydrates and lose weight fast!
Dolma’s are grape-vine leaves that are stuffed with a variety of delicious treats! In the recipe below I will be using feta…but this is one of many options. They are a popular mediterranean and middle eastern food dating back centuries, and regularly added to mezzes! The mediterranean diet is renown for being the diet of choice for health, and dolma’s are just one trick that will kick-start you to a healthier you! Want to kick bread to the curb? Try dolma’s! These clever bites are just like a sandwich, with the added bonus of being low carb and guilt free! They’re easy to make and you really cannot go wrong!
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 grated tomatoes
- 1 jar grape-vine leaves
- 100g pine nuts
- 100g currants
- 200g medium grain rice (uncooked)
- Sprigg of mint leaves
- Bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the rice in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Cook the onion and garlic gently in a pan until they are translucent then add pine nuts, currants, grated tomato and chopped parsley. Don’t forget to add salt to taste. Add the drained rice and cook for a few minutes or so adding water if required.
- Transfer the filling to a bowl and allow to cool a little.
- Gently unfold the vine leaves from the jar, ensuring that they don’t rip.
- Prepare the leaves by simmering in water and drain after 5 minutes.
- Lay the leaves out, and place 1 tsp to 1tbsp of the rice mixture at the bottom near to where the stem would attach. Then roll the grape leaves by folding the bottom end up, then continue with the right and left sides in then rolling all the way toward the top. Don’t fold the dolmas too tightly.
- Line a pot with some left-over vine leaves and place the dolmas on top. Thinly slice 1/2 of a lemon and place on top of the stacked dolmas and cover with more vine leaves.
- Add 125mls of hot water to the pot and cover.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes!
- Cover the dolmas in the juice of the other half of the lemon to help preserve them.